Jan 13, 2011

Helping a Fellow Alum

Here is another letter that I got about 2 months ago:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found your information when doing a search on the University of XYZ’s Alumni website.  I am a 2003 graduate with a BS in French Language and Literature.  While studying abroad in Paris during my third year, I decided that one day, France would be my home.  After many years in the corporate world, I decided it was time to chase my dream.  Earlier this year, I left my job and have been desperately searching for a way to make this dream a reality by early 2011.  
The reason that I’m contacting you is because you have successfully established yourself abroad.  As you probably know, it’s very difficult to navigate through the bureaucracy of the French government to get a job or a visa (after all, which comes first??), therefore I have hit many dead-ends.  As a fellow Wahoo and a resident of France, I am asking for your assistance and counsel in finding a job and moving to the Paris area.
My professional experience is in sales and operations, with over 10 years of service with XYC company; however, my interests and skill-set are vast.  I ask that you please consider your network of friends, neighbors and business colleagues and what jobs they may have available.  I am willing to start at the bottom, prove myself, and work my way up again.  Right now, it isn’t as much about the position, but about getting to a place I know I should be. 
My CV, which is attached, contains additional information on my experience and skills. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss possible options with you and to provide further information about myself. I can be reached anytime via email or on my mobile phone: 1-555-555-5555.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just have no idea what to say about letters like these.  I have a PhD in Biochemistry.  What do I know about business....I have no connections, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment